Land. Ocean. Space.
Origin. Authenticity. Integrity.
Tribes. Honor. Celebration.
From a childhood living in a small hotel by the sea in Worthing to his experiences in California and New Mexico, Gordon reveals fundamental truths in conflicting beliefs and cultural traditions.
Drawing on his graphic roots, he uses pure colour, scale, symbolism, iconography, found objects and photography; his meticulously handpainted and multi-layered works challenge convention, post colonial attitudes and propaganda, taking the viewer on a journey through positive abstraction.
Gordon renders his art with a raw energy that comes from the artist’s proximity to the subject, demonstrating the correlation in extremes of imagery and revealing a life-force in an affirmative, minimalist state. He opens a dialogue between ancient history, the 20th century, pop culture, consumerism and leading-edge technology through exploring transformation over time.
Focusing on an image before relocating its context is a way of celebrating the enduring materiality of images whilst safeguarding the vulnerability of others. This dissonance subverts, disrupts and enriches our recognition of the visual world, touching our soul through a moment of reflection and realisation.
• Angus Hughes Gallery, London 2018
• The Other Art Fair (curated by Saatchi Art), London 2018
• NSA on View, Tremenheer Gallery, 2018
• The Other Art Fair (curated by Saatchi Art), Brooklyn, NYC 2018
• Newlyn School of Art Mentoring Show, Penzance 2017
• Come Rain Come Shine, Beaux Arts Gallery, Mayfair – London 2017
• ‘Ten Years On’, Porthminster Gallery, St Ives 2017
• ‘465 Sunflowers 2’ Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, London 2013
• ‘Wild West’, solo exhibition, Winchester 2011
• ‘Howdy’ Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, London 2010
• Adam Street Member’s Club, London 2010
• ‘Sundance 1’ Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, London 2007
• Hamiltons Gallery, London 2006
• ‘Light and Shade’, Southampton Art Gallery 2003
• ‘Moments’ Portsmouth Guildhall 1998
• Private Collection – New York
• Private Collection – Berlin, Germany
• Private Collection – Geneva, Switzerland
• Public Collection – Artist Residence, Penzance
• Private Collection – London
• Private Collection – Oxford
• Private Collection – Brighton
• Private Collection – Newlyn
• Private Collection – Winchester
• Newlyn School of Art – 2017 Mentoring Programme
• International Echo Award in Graphic Design
• IBM Bursary for Creativity in Photography
• Society of Industrial Artists & Designers (MSIAD)
• Society of Typographic Designers (MSTD)
• Graduated in Graphic Design and Typography, Portsmouth